Catholic Partnership Schools receives grant from Conrad N. Hilton Foundation
Catholic Partnership Schools has been awarded a $250,000 grant from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation to build capacity, stabilize and strengthen its post-parochial five-school educational initiative in Camden.
“This grant award advances the Partnership and our focus on quality Catholic elementary education in Camden,” said Sister Karen Dietrich, SSJ, executive director of Catholic Partnership Schools. “The funding will allow the Partnership to strengthen the five schools’ vitality and sustainability in providing a quality education for low-income students. Catholic Partnership is honored to have the Hilton Foundation partner with us.”
Catholic Partnership Schools currently operate its five elementary schools in four culturally distinct Camden neighborhoods with the fifth located in neighboring Pennsauken just blocks beyond the city limits. Total enrollment exceeds 1,000 boys and girls with 65 percent Hispanic; 30 percent African-American; 50 percent non-Catholic; and 88 percent of students qualifying for free/reduced lunch.
“With a commitment from the Hilton Foundation to invest in Catholic Partnership Schools, we continue to take significant steps in strengthening the infrastructure and capacity building of our management and schools and insuring the sustainability of a solid and innovative post-parochial model for Catholic urban elementary schools,” Sister Dietrich explained. “True to the hallmarks of faith, excellence and stewardship of every kind of resource, we know that educating children is the best — and possibly only way — to break the cycle of poverty and violence.”
The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation was created in 1944 by international business pioneer Conrad N. Hilton, who founded Hilton Hotels and left his fortune to help the world’s disadvantaged and vulnerable people.