Full of Grace – Diocese of Camden 1937-2012, Msgr. Joseph McIntyre

Full of Grace – Diocese of Camden 1937-2012, Msgr. Joseph McIntyre

mcintyre-webIn this 1967 file photo Msgr. Joseph B. McIntyre accepts a scroll commemorating a telecast of a Christmas Mass celebrated by the priest at Christ the King Church, Haddonfield, and aired by WFIL-TV on Dec. 24, 1947. Also pictured are George A. Koehler, right, manager of WFIL-TV6 Philadelphia, and Dr. Ralph Onofrio of Christ the King.

 

In his nearly 50 years as a priest, Msgr. Joseph Bonaventure McIntyre was involved in many key developments in the history of the Diocese of Camden. He was a newspaper editor, diocesan administrator, parish pastor, and effective fundraiser.

As the Diocese of Camden had not been established yet, Msgr. McIntyre was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Trenton on April 6, 1926 in St. Mary’s Cathedral, Trenton.

The new priest’s first assignment was assistant pastor at St. Rose of Lima in Haddon Heights, where he also served its mission church, Christ the King in Haddonfield. Years later, in 1935, he became the first pastor at the new Christ the King Parish, a position he held for nearly four decades, until 1973.

After the Diocese of Camden was established in December 1937, then- Father McIntyre became the first diocesan chancellor, under Bishop Bartholomew J. Eustace, and held this position until 1950.

He was named director for the Society of the Propagation of the Faith (1938-61).

Msgr. McIntyre was instrumental in raising funds for the construction of the new Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden, which was blessed and dedicated May 28, 1950.

In 1951, Msgr. McIntyre became the first editor of the new diocesan newspaper, the Catholic Star Herald. Three years later Archbishop Celestine J. Damiano named him co-director of the new House of Charity department, along with Msgr. (later Auxiliary Bishop) James Schad.

On March 30, 1973, at the age of 70, Msgr. McIntyre died while vacationing in the Poconos.

In 1975, for his long-time dedication to Christ the King, the Monsignor McIntyre Memorial Park was dedicated on the first Sunday in October.

 

Researched by Peter G. Sánchez and James A. McBride

Categories: Latest News

About Author