On the pro-life express to Washington for the March

On the pro-life express to Washington for the March

Photo by Peter G. Sanchéz

marchforlife-webPhoto at left: Students and chaperones from St. Rose of Lima in Haddon Heights, pose with someone dressed as “Captain America” at the March for Life on Monday, January 24 in Washington, D.C.

WASHINGTON — Monday, Jan. 24, 52 pro-lifers comprising school students, priests and adult chaperones left St. Rose of Lima School in Haddon Heights for Washington, D.C. to join thousands from across the globe at the annual March for Life rally.

After a 6:30 a,m, Mass celebrated by St. Rose of Lima pastor Father Joseph Byerley and parochial vicar, Father Thanh Pham, 38 school students and 11 adult chaperones boarded a Trolley Tours bus, joined by the parish’s director of religious education, Deborah Smaldore, and the two parish priests.

It was one of many buses to depart from South Jersey that day to bring pro-life activists to Washington.

The rally marked the 38th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision which legalized abortion. Although Saturday, Jan. 22 was the official anniversary, rally organizers decided to hold it on the 24th, so pro-life supporters could visit their representatives, and call for an end to abortion.

After the National Mall rally, which included various, impassioned speakers urging President Barack Obama to change the Roe V. Wade decision, participants marched along Constitution Avenue, up to the Supreme Court Building.

Although the weather was in the 20s, requiring marchers to bundle up with hats, scarves, gloves and heavy jackets, none seemed to mind the sacrifice.

“It’s always good to stand up for people who cannot stand up for themselves, especially the unborn, and preserve and protect the dignity of human life,” noted Father Pham.

“The group (from St. Rose) that has come together, for this good cause, it’s really a joy.”

Jeremy McShane, a seventh grader at St. Rose, agreed.

“It’s very cold, a very long (march), but worthwhile,” he said.

Seventh grader Anastasia Ketschek had never been on the March for Life before, but had heard her grandmother talk about her own trips to D.C. With her grandmother unable to go, she realizes the importance, of keeping her family’s tradition alive. “It’s great for me, to take her place,” she said.

After the march, participants took respite from the cold at St. Peter’s on Capitol Hill Church, where hot chocolate and donuts were served.

Next, the Trolley Tours bus arrived, and took the marches back home, arriving at Haddon Heights around 9:15 p.m.

Categories: Latest News

About Author