Our Lady of Pompeii Church celebrates 100 years

Our Lady of Pompeii Church celebrates 100 years

Photo by Alan M. Dumoff/More photos www.ccdphotoalbum.com

100thanniversary-webFather Peter Saporito stands behind Mary Galante, 100, and her family, at brunch following the 100th anniversary Mass of Our Lady of Pompeii Church, Vineland.

Our Lady of Pompeii Church, Vineland, celebrated on July 12 the 100th anniversary of the first Mass held in the church.

The 10:30 a.m. Mass was celebrated by Father Peter Saporito, pastor of St. Padre Pio Parish, Vineland. The parish includes both Our Lady of Pompeii and St. Mary churches. Concelebrating were Msgr. John A. Clarke, weekend celebrant, and Father Jerold G. Anthony, parochial vicar.

After Mass, parishioners gathered at Merighi’s Savoy Inn for brunch and to share memories of the church over the past 100 years.

State Senator Frank LoBiondo, a parishioner, was on hand to show his support for the church.

In 1904, Dionsio Dallago, Domenico Bailone, and Bartolo Smaniotto, residents of New Italy (present-day Vineland) presented themselves to Bishop James A. McFaul of the Diocese of Trenton, requesting permission to start collecting funds for a new church in their town. On Aug. 3, 1908, construction of the new church began, and on July 5, 1909, the church was dedicated.

Later that month, Father Agnello Santagnello arrived as its first pastor.

Categories: Latest News

About Author