Sister Edwarda Barry, former teacher, dies

Mercy Sister Edwarda Barry, 88, who taught at St. John School in Collingswood, died July 20 at McAuley Hall Health Care Center in Watchung, N.J.
From 1945-51, she taught at St. John School. She also taught at schools in Lambertville and South Amboy, N.J.
She held a doctorate from Fordham and became the first chair of the Sociology Department at Georgian Court College.
Sister Edwarda was a co-founder of the House of Prayer at Mount Saint Mary, Watchung, and co-director of the Center for Christian Concerns at Georgian Court. She was also an assistant to the president of the college and currently was the university historian.
Sister Edwarda is survived by cousins, nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grandnephews of her deceased brothers Ted and Jack Barry of Trenton.
A Mass of Christian Burial took place on July 24 at McAuley Hall Health Care Center. Burial was in Holy Redeemer Cemetery, South Plainfield, N.J. Memorial contributions may be made to Sisters of Mercy Mid-Atlantic Community 1645 Highway 22, Watchung, NJ 07069.

Categories: Latest News

About Author