Stations of the Cross. Fish dinners. Bingo. Youth group gatherings. Lunch with the Easter Bunny. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

All these upcoming parish events on Catholic church calendars throughout South Jersey — prayerful, joyful occasions that breathe fresh, spirit-filled air into the lungs of the church community — are now on hold due to the COVID-19 coronavirus.
In light of New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy’s actions to reduce state activities in hopes of preventing the spread of the virus, Bishop Dennis Sullivan earlier this week announced restrictions in the life of South Jersey’s Catholic Church, including suspending all public weekday and Sunday Masses until further notice.
Diocesan events have been suspended as well, including this weekend’s annual FaithFULL Food Drive, meant to help the hungry in the area.
“We are asking parishes to store any food that they have already collected,” the Food Drive planning committee said in a statement announcing the suspension, saying that churches can “either keep the food for your own pantries or wait for a future announcement from the diocese with information about when and how to have the food dropped off/picked up.”
In addition, the annual iRace4Vocations scheduled for March 29, to gather the whole diocese in prayer for vocations, was called off.
“We ask that in lieu of your attendance at this event, you offer your prayers that God will continue to bless our diocese and the Catholic Church with good men who make the decision to discern a path to the priesthood,” Bishop Sullivan wrote the community.
Other cancelled events include a multi-faith prayer vigil for migrants seeking asylum, to be held this weekend in Pennsauken; and next month’s gathering of the Jewish Christian Muslin Dialogue of South Jersey.
As churches closed their doors Tuesday morning, uncertainty and questioning pervaded the air- when would these places of faith, of refuge, of the Eucharist be open again?
“There were tears, sadness” as Blackwood’s Our Lady of Hope Parish held its final Mass — for now — on March 17, said the pastor, Father Joseph Szolack.
“In my 31 years as a priest, I’ve never experienced anything like this. People feel like they are losing their second home,” he continued, adding that “parishioners felt bad for me and the priests, too, because they know (the Mass) is our life.”
He reassured his faithful that he and his parish priests would still hold daily private Masses, and all the community’s prayers intentions would be fulfilled. Even though parish hours are reduced, the chapel will still be open for daily prayer; Friday adoration services will continue for the public; and the anointing of the sick, confession, and last rites will be available upon request.
“This is a great time of trust” in our Lord, Father Szolack said.
Father Anthony Manuppella, pastor of Saint Gianna Beretta Molla in Northfield, was scheduled to go up in an airplane for a two-hour flyover of the entire diocese on Wednesday afternoon. With the Blessed Sacrament and a statue of the Blessed Mother in tow, he would bless the six counties and ask for the protection of Jesus and Mary upon it.
When asked what he tells his flock in these uncertain times, Father Manuppella reminded them to look to Jesus, echoing the words of Jesus to his fearful apostles: “Be not afraid, it is I” (Mt 14:27).
Notwithstanding the Governor’s order, he still intends to care for the needs of his congregants.
“I’m not going to deprive people of the sacraments, no matter what happens,” he says. “I can’t not do what I’m supposed to do.”
In Hammonton, Saint Mary of Mount Carmel Parish will record their daily Masses and livestream their Sunday Masses, both for Facebook, joining churches throughout the diocese in making liturgy accessible to the faithful.
“This is a beautiful time for healing, and for people to be compassionate, forgiving, and sharing,” said Father David Rivera, parish administrator, who reminded his community to “pray, stay close to the Lord, and have your soul prepared” in light of the recent events.
He hopes local Catholics, while physically further apart, will grow closer together in the coming weeks, and become “stronger, faithful, and more united.”
Father Rivera and his staff have created a “spiritual plan” for parishioners, which includes news that both of the parish churches (Saint Joseph and Saint Anthony of Padua) will be open for private prayer daily; livestreaming of daily devotions from the church; and suggestions for family activities in their own homes, such as reading the Gospels together, fasting and abstinence for all affected by COVID-19, and praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3 p.m.
Deacon Jerry Jablonowski, executive director of VITALity Healthcare Services for the Diocese of Camden, said that the current health crisis will be especially hard on seniors.
“These unprecedented times are certainly hardest on our elderly parishioners, the backbone and builders of our current parishes. Not only are they the most susceptible to the more serious effects of COVID-19, but some in nursing homes and hospitals are feeling more further isolated through non-visitation policies. Policies instituted for their own protection. And for many, this pandemic has now taken from them the anticipation and joy of daily and Sunday Mass at their beloved churches,” he said.
“We need to pray for all of them during these stressful times,” he added. “Pray not just for their physical protection and well being, but also for their spiritual nourishment to be fulfilled through acts of prayer and virtual participation in the Mass through the media that they can access.”
Youth, young adult, and campus ministry leaders are also discerning ways to continue community, if only from afar, for those they serve.
“We will certainly use technology to facilitate community,” said Alison Filion, director of Stockton University’s Catholic Campus Ministry (CCM).
After the students return from spring break next week, they will undergo distance learning, joining colleges, primary and secondary schools throughout the nation.
Fortuitously, Stockton’s last CCM dealt with anxiety and stress, focusing on Jesus’ words on the Sermon of the Mount: “Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life. … Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing … for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things” (Mt 6:27-32).
“We need to remind ourselves that Jesus is here with us, and brings us peace,” she said.
At press time, the Catholic Millennial Ministry young adults from Vineland planned to move their Friday gatherings at Divine Mercy Parish, Vineland, to two days later, continuing the Sunday tradition at church. As well, group members will create and share videos on such topics as Lectio Divina, Lent, and the beatitudes with each other, to nurture their faith in their own homes.
“We are the church — our job is to live the faith,” said Jose Rodriguez, coordinator of Hispanic Ministry/Youth, Young Adult, and Campus Ministries, and a member of Catholic Millennial Ministry.
Lori King, youth minister at Vineland’s Christ the Good Shepherd, says the suspended meetings have meant daily texts to the young church — “some inspiring, some funny, and some Lenten Challenges,” she said. “I’m telling them to keep Christ at the center of everything, and trust in his path.
In her latest message to youth, she sent them a prayer, a message of hope to shine a light in the cloudy fog of the present.
“Today is simply a good day to simply say ‘Thank you.’ To God, family, and friends. We all have our fears, disappointments and outright struggles. Choose to let love, faith and prayer be stronger than any of them.”













