Click Here to Subscribe

Photos: Father Naticchione First Mass

Bishop's Schedule

The Bishop’s Schedule, May 26 – June 2

by Staff Reports
May 21, 2026
0
ShareTweet

Featured

New Jerseyans urged to push for nonpublic school security funding

by David Karas, Correspondent
1 day ago
0
ShareTweet

The Ascension, like death, not a departure, but a lifting

by Father Michael A. de Leon, AM
1 day ago
0
ShareTweet

Bishop connects with staff, mission at SSJ Neighborhood Center

by Staff Reports
3 days ago
0
ShareTweet
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Subscribe
  • Home
Friday, May 22, 2026
Catholic Star Herald
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Catholic Star Herald
No Result
View All Result
Home OSV News

After judge’s order, Trump administration to issue partial SNAP payments with contingency funds

OSV News by OSV News
November 4, 2025
in OSV News, World/Nation
Reading Time: 5 mins read
0
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
A woman holds a sign during “A Rally for SNAP” on the steps of the Massachusetts Statehouse in Boston Oct. 28, 2025, ahead of the expected Nov. 1 suspension of SNAP food assistance benefits because of the ongoing U.S. government shutdown. A federal judge in Rhode Island on Oct. 31 directed the Trump administration to pay SNAP benefits, and the Trump administration said Nov. 3 it would comply. (OSV News photo/Brian Snyder, Reuters)

By Kate Scanlon, OSV News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — The Trump administration has indicated that it will not appeal court orders directing it to pay SNAP benefits, but that it will only issue partial payments in November.

The Trump administration previously said funding for SNAP — the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, a major part of the nation’s social safety net — was scheduled to lapse Nov. 1 due to the federal government shutdown.

But Judge Jack McConnell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island said Oct. 31 the Agriculture Department must distribute the contingency funds “timely, or as soon as possible, for the November 1 payments to be made.”

In a Nov. 3 brief, USDA’s lawyers wrote it “will fulfill its obligation to expend the full amount of SNAP contingency funds today.”

The brief said that the Food and Nutrition Service, which administers SNAP, will spend about $450 million of the contingency funds paying for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, or WIC, with another $150 million for food programs in the U.S. territories Puerto Rico and American Samoa, and the remaining $4.65 billion will pay for SNAP benefits, representing about 50% of payments to eligible households.

“This means that no funds will remain for new SNAP applicants certified in November, disaster assistance, or as a cushion against the potential catastrophic consequences of shutting down SNAP entirely,” the brief said.

About 42 million — or 1-in-8 — Americans rely on SNAP. Data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture showed that in fiscal year 2023, 79% of SNAP recipient households included either a child, an elderly individual or a nonelderly individual with a disability.

Qualified SNAP recipients receive monthly allowances through electronic benefit transfer accounts, with SNAP EBT cards used like debit or credit cards to purchase essential foods and seeds to grow food. Sales tax, prepared food, pet foods, nonfood items, alcohol, tobacco, vitamins and medicine are excluded.

Catholic leaders and ministries were among those who raised alarm at the prospect of a lapse in federal food assistance.

Trump previously indicated his administration would not appeal the order in an Oct. 31 post on his social media website, Truth Social.

“Our Government lawyers do not think we have the legal authority to pay SNAP with certain monies we have available, and now two Courts have issued conflicting opinions on what we can and cannot do. I do NOT want Americans to go hungry just because the Radical Democrats refuse to do the right thing and REOPEN THE GOVERNMENT. Therefore, I have instructed our lawyers to ask the Court to clarify how we can legally fund SNAP as soon as possible.”

But Trump said there would be a delay, pointing at Democrats’ objections to a GOP-backed funding bill to keep the government open.

“It is already delayed enough due to the Democrats keeping the Government closed through the monthly payment date and, even if we get immediate guidance, it will unfortunately be delayed while States get the money out,” he said. “If we are given the appropriate legal direction by the Court, it will BE MY HONOR to provide the funding, just like I did with Military and Law Enforcement Pay.”

However, during a lengthy government shutdown during the first Trump administration, the Department of Agriculture authorized early processing of SNAP funds to ensure there would be no disruption in service, the Huffington Post noted.

In a post on X, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer replied that “USDA has the authority to fully fund SNAP and needs to do so immediately. Anything else is unacceptable.”

“Trump’s ‘decision’ to follow the court order and only send partial SNAP benefits to 42 million hungry Americans as Thanksgiving approaches is cruel and callous,” he said.

“Trump should focus less on his ballroom and his bathroom and more on the American people,” Schumer added in reference to recent White House renovations, which include the demolition of the East Wing.

In anticipation of a lapse in federal food assistance programs, Catholic Charities USA, the network organization dedicated to carrying out the domestic humanitarian work of the Catholic Church in the United States, announced a national fundraising effort to provide an emergency supply of food to Catholic Charities agencies around the country.


Kate Scanlon is a national reporter for OSV News covering Washington. Follow her on X @kgscanlon.

Previous Post

Renowned composer to headline Black Catholic History Month concert

Next Post

Vatican: Mary, mother of Jesus, is not a co-redeemer

Related Posts

Pope Leo XIV gestures to the crowd as he boards the papal plane at Bamenda International Airport in Cameroon April 16, 2026, en route to in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Pope Leo XIV’s first encyclical, "Magnifica Humanitas," will be published May 25, addressing artificial intelligence and the protection of human dignity, the Vatican announced May 18, 2026. (OSV News photo/Simone Risoluti, Vatican Media)
World/Nation

Pope Leo XIV to publish encyclical on artificial intelligence May 25

May 18, 2026
Cardinal Víctor Manuel Fernández, prefect of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, and Father Davide Pagliarani, superior general of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X, are pictured at the Vatican Feb. 12, 2026. The cardinal met with Father Pagliarani after the traditionalist group announced plans to consecrate bishops without papal approval, raising fears of a renewed schism. (OSV News photo/courtesy Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith) Editors: best quality available.
World/Nation

Doctrinal office says SSPX bishop consecrations constitute ‘schismatic act’ subject to excommunication

May 13, 2026
Bishop Frank J. Dewane of Venice, Fla., delivers the meditation during an evening prayer service at Holy Family Church in New York City Sept. 5, 2023. It was announced May 13, 2026, that Pope Leo XIV has accepted the  resignation of Bishop Dewane, 76, who had led the southwest Florida diocese since 2006, and appointed Father Emilio Biosca Agüero, a Capuchin Franciscan missionary who served in Cuba and Papua New Guinea, as the new bishop of Venice, Fla. (OSV News photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
World/Nation

Pope Leo XIV names former missionary in Cuba as new bishop of Venice, Florida

May 13, 2026
An imaging table is seen inside the Planned Parenthood facility in St. Louis May 28, 2019. Ahead of the July 4, 2026, expiration of the One Big Beautiful Bill Act provision that eliminated funds to health providers who also perform abortions, the U.S. bishops offered their support to legislation that would block federal Title X family-planning grants and funds from going to those entities. (OSV News photo/Lawrence Bryant, Reuters)
World/Nation

As Planned Parenthood defunding nears expiration, USCCB pro-life chair backs bill to block funds

May 13, 2026
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn Youtube RSS

No Result
View All Result

Latest News

Father Edward Heintzelman, longtime pastor in Mays Landing, dies

Bishop Williams urges Knights of Columbus: Be confident evangelizers

New Jerseyans urged to push for nonpublic school security funding

Faithful gather for spiritual renewal ahead of Pentecost

Father Naticchione celebrates first Mass in Ventnor

Latest Videos

View Ordination of Nickolas B. Naticchione in Cathedral

The legacy of Pope Francis

Pope Leo’s first Easter message

See livestream of Bishop Williams celebrating annual Chrism Mass

Pope Leo XIV’s first Palm Sunday

Around the Diocese

  • The Diocese of Camden
  • Talking Catholic Podcast
  • Catholic Charities
  • Advertise
  • Catholic Cemeteries
  • VITALity Healthcare Services
  • Housing Services
  • Camden Deacon
  • Camden Priest
  • South Jersey Catholic Schools
  • Man Up South Jersey
  • Catholic Business Network

Additional Resources

  • New Jersey Independent Victim Compensation Fund
  • Quick Guide to Reporting Sexual Abuse
  • List of Credibly Accused Priests and Parish Resources
  • Bishop’s Commission Report on Catholic Schools

Reorganization of the Diocese

  • Chapter 11 Claims filing info
  • Chapter 11 Prime Clerk Filing

© All Rights Reserved | May 22, 2026 | Catholic Star Herald of the Diocese of Camden

En español/Sa Tagalog

Add the Catholic Star Herald to your home screen

For Android users(Chrome) tap the at the top right vertical 3 dots then tap “Add to Home Screen”

For iPhone tap:at the bottom and then tap “Add to Home Screen”

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

If you need assistance with submitting your subscription, please call Neal Cullen at 856-583-6139, or email Neal.Cullen@camdendiocese.org

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us

© All Rights Reserved | May 22, 2026 | Catholic Star Herald of the Diocese of Camden