Left photo, Bishop Bartholomew J. Eustace, first bishop of Camden, accompanied by other members of the clergy, dedicates the present Christ the King Church in 1941.
1935 – Christ the King Parish was created on June 29. Father Joseph B. McIntyre was appointed pastor on July 5. The parish was formally established on Nov. 24.
1940 – Christ the King School opened. The upper floor of the original church was used for classrooms. The Franciscan Sisters of Allegany, N.Y., arrived in Haddonfield to staff the school. Extensive remodeling later took place, converting the entire building into a school.
1941 – The cornerstone was laid for the present Christ the King Church on Mother’s Day. The church was dedicated on Nov. 30.
1947 – The first telecast in history of a Roman Catholic Mass was broadcast from Christ the King Church on WFIL-TV. It was the Christmas Eve Mass.
1960 – The parish celebrated its silver jubilee with special occasions during the last week of October.
1965 – St. John of God School for Special Children was opened at Christ the King. The Hospitallers of St. John of God, who staff the school, arrived from Ireland and remained in Haddonfield for several years before moving to their permanent location in Westville Grove.
1968 – The Christ the King Parish council was formed.
1969 – Christ the King School became a regional school.
1971 – Sister Francis-Mary of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany became the first director of religious education at Christ the King.
1973 – Monsignor McIntyre died on March 20. Terry Odien, the first deacon of the parish, was ordained at Christ the King Church in May.
1974 – Monsignor Charles P. Barth was installed as the second pastor of Christ the King. In the 1970s, Christ the King developed a permanent diaconate, lectors and Eucharistic ministers in accordance with the Second Vatican Council.
1978 – Monsignor Edward F. Mullen became the third pastor of Christ the King.
1980 – A church renovation program took place.
1985 – The parish celebrated its 50th anniversary with special occasions throughout the year.
1995 – The parish began a Renew program, encouraging parishioners to meet regularly in small groups to renew their faith. Several years later, it transitioned into the Small Christian Communities program.
1996 – Father Thomas J. Morgan was installed as the fourth pastor of Christ the King.
1997 – A Eucharistic adoration chapel opened inside Christ the King Church.
1998 – The parish embarked upon a three-year renovation program to improve the church, hall, school and office facilities.
2000 – The first Internet broadcast in history of a Roman Catholic Mass took place from Christ the King Church. It was a wedding the groom’s parents could not attend because of illness on June 17.
2002 – Monsignor Joseph W. Pokusa became the fifth pastor of Christ the King. He encouraged efforts for social action.
2005 – Father Joseph D. Wallace became the sixth pastor of Christ the King.
2006 – An ecumenical prayer service with leaders of many Christian denominations was held at Christ the King Church on Jan. 16.
2008 – A South Jersey Interfaith Passover Seder was held at Christ the King on April 7.
2009 – Monsignor William P. Brennan became the seventh pastor of Christ the King.
2010 – The parish celebrated its 75th anniversary with special occasions throughout the year.