Click Here to Subscribe

Photos: Father Naticchione First Mass

Bishop's Schedule

The Bishop’s Schedule, May 26 – June 2

by Staff Reports
May 21, 2026
0
ShareTweet

Featured

The Ascension, like death, not a departure, but a lifting

by Father Michael A. de Leon, AM
8 hours ago
0
ShareTweet

Bishop connects with staff, mission at SSJ Neighborhood Center

by Staff Reports
2 days ago
0
ShareTweet

Faith, Media and the Boardwalk

by Staff Reports
3 days ago
0
ShareTweet
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Subscribe
  • Home
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Catholic Star Herald
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Catholic Star Herald
No Result
View All Result
Home Catholic School News

New Jerseyans urged to push for nonpublic school security funding

David Karas, Correspondent by David Karas, Correspondent
May 21, 2026
in Catholic School News, Catholic Schools, Diocesan News, DOC Homepage, Latest News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

With the state’s proposed budget failing to increase much-needed funding to support nonpublic school security, Catholic school leaders and advocates across New Jersey are urging supporters to contact their legislators – particularly those serving on budget committees.

“The safety of all students in nonpublic schools – including Catholic schools – is every bit as important as the safety of students in publicly funded schools,” said Dr. Bill Watson, superintendent of schools for the Diocese of Camden. “Families who send their children to Catholic school pay tuition for faith formation, high-quality instruction, excellent extracurricular activities and more. They should not have to make an even greater financial sacrifice to ensure the safety of their children, which should be a given for all children in New Jersey, no matter where they go to school.”

Earlier this year, Catholic education and diocesan leaders across the Garden State joined the New Jersey Catholic Conference to support increasing funding for nonpublic school security from $205 to $260 per pupil in the state’s next budget, which takes effect July 1. Funding was first awarded in 2016 as part of the Secure Schools for All Children Act – and reflected the importance of supporting security at both public and nonpublic schools.

“Catholic schools in the Diocese of Camden have used security funding to make critical improvements to security infrastructure, such as installing vestibules and bullet-proof coating at their entrances, upgrading visitor entrance systems, adding security cameras that are visible to local police, replacing outdated warning systems, doors and emergency lighting, and training and coordination with local law enforcement,” Watson said.

He added that the Office of Catholic Schools and each Catholic school in the Diocese regularly consult with law enforcement and rely on the expertise and input of parents to stay current in their security measures. “These upgrades are essential, but the costs of maintaining them and adding additional elements to school security plans are increasing and ongoing.”

While N.J. Gov. Mikie Sherrill’s budget address referenced protecting schoolchildren, her proposed spending plan for the next fiscal year holds funding for nonpublic school security at $205 per pupil – the same level as the past four budget cycles. 

With the proposed budget now in the hands of the State Legislature, advocates encourage Catholics and supporters of Catholic education to contact their representatives in the State Senate and General Assembly. While legislators expect to hear from lobbyists and advocacy organizations, Bonnie Milecki, president of the New Jersey Council for American Private Education, emphasized that hearing from the families, educators and community members who they represent carry a lot of weight.

“When constituents share why school safety matters to them personally, it reminds policymakers that these are not abstract budget lines,” she said. “These are real children, real schools and real communities. Catholic schools are deeply rooted in their local communities, and when those communities speak with a united voice, legislators listen.”

Those whose district legislators are members of the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee or the Assembly Budget Committee are encouraged to contact those members to urge them to submit a budget resolution to increase nonpublic school security. Those whose representatives are not on a budget committee are asked to petition their district representatives to pass that message along to their colleagues.

The New Jersey Catholic Conference – the public-policy arm of the state’s Catholic bishops – issued an Action Alert on the topic, and offers its Voter Voice System as a way to make it easier to contact one’s legislators. Visit votervoice.net/NJCC/Campaigns/137489/Respond.

This article appears courtesy of The Monitor, the Catholic magazine of the Diocese of Trenton.

Previous Post

Paul VI trio hits 100

Related Posts

Bishop's Schedule

The Bishop’s Schedule, May 26 – June 2

May 21, 2026
Photos by Frank Scaramuzzo
Dozens of South Jersey’s faithful lift their arms in praise during the Hispanic Catholic Charismatic Renewal on May 16 in Bellmawr.
Latest News

Faithful gather for spiritual renewal ahead of Pentecost

May 21, 2026
Photos by John Kalitz
Diocesan News

Father Naticchione celebrates first Mass in Ventnor

May 20, 2026
Diocesan News

Bishop Dolan: Presence, connection, education keys to mental wellness

May 19, 2026
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn Youtube RSS

No Result
View All Result

Latest News

New Jerseyans urged to push for nonpublic school security funding

Faithful gather for spiritual renewal ahead of Pentecost

Father Naticchione celebrates first Mass in Ventnor

Bishop Dolan: Presence, connection, education keys to mental wellness

Bishop connects with staff, mission at SSJ Neighborhood Center

Latest Videos

View Ordination of Nickolas B. Naticchione in Cathedral

The legacy of Pope Francis

Pope Leo’s first Easter message

See livestream of Bishop Williams celebrating annual Chrism Mass

Pope Leo XIV’s first Palm Sunday

Around the Diocese

  • The Diocese of Camden
  • Talking Catholic Podcast
  • Catholic Charities
  • Advertise
  • Catholic Cemeteries
  • VITALity Healthcare Services
  • Housing Services
  • Camden Deacon
  • Camden Priest
  • South Jersey Catholic Schools
  • Man Up South Jersey
  • Catholic Business Network

Additional Resources

  • New Jersey Independent Victim Compensation Fund
  • Quick Guide to Reporting Sexual Abuse
  • List of Credibly Accused Priests and Parish Resources
  • Bishop’s Commission Report on Catholic Schools

Reorganization of the Diocese

  • Chapter 11 Claims filing info
  • Chapter 11 Prime Clerk Filing

© All Rights Reserved | May 21, 2026 | Catholic Star Herald of the Diocese of Camden

En español/Sa Tagalog

Add the Catholic Star Herald to your home screen

For Android users(Chrome) tap the at the top right vertical 3 dots then tap “Add to Home Screen”

For iPhone tap:at the bottom and then tap “Add to Home Screen”

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

If you need assistance with submitting your subscription, please call Neal Cullen at 856-583-6139, or email Neal.Cullen@camdendiocese.org

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • From Bishop Williams
    • Parish Life
    • Diocesan News
    • Sports
    • Columns
      • From Bishop Sullivan
    • Obituaries
    • World/Nation
  • Catholic Schools
  • Español
  • Features
    • Special Supplements
      • Thank You Bishop Sullivan
      • Welcome Bishop Williams
      • Jubilarians
    • Entertainment
      • Movie Reviews
    • Photo Galleries
    • Talking Catholic
    • Latest Videos
    • Health and Wellness
  • Advertise
  • More
    • Classified
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us

© All Rights Reserved | May 21, 2026 | Catholic Star Herald of the Diocese of Camden