The Franciscan Mystery Players will present two plays at parishes during Lent, The Way of the Cross and Jesus the Healer.
Comprised of high school students and some adults, the Franciscan Mystery Players perform to timed narrations and music with dramatic lighting effects. The plays are meditations on Christ’s love, forgiveness and healing. The narration attempts to bring to light that the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is as relevant today as it was 2000 years ago.
The plays were written by Father Francis Pompei, OFM, a Franciscan Friar formerly based in Philadelphia and now in Buffalo, N.Y.
The Franciscan Mystery Players are in their 17th season and are just one of 11 operating groups of Mystery Players in the United States. Others are located in California, Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire, northern New Jersey, and New York.
The Way of the Cross, based in Holy Family Church, Sewell.
– Feb. 22, St. Andrew the Apostle, Gibbsboro, 7 p.m.
– Feb. 24, Our Lady of Peace, Williamstown, 7:30 p.m.
– March 1, St. Charles Borromeo, Sicklerville, 7 p.m.
– March 3, St. Gabriel the Archangel, Carneys Point, 7 p.m.
– March 8, Mary Mother of Mercy, Glassboro, 7 p.m.
– March 10, St. Joseph, Somers Point, 7:30 p.m.
– March 15, St Paul’s, Norristown, Pa., 7:30 p.m.
– March 17, Divine Mercy, Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m.
– March 22, Open Date
– March 24, (Palm Sunday) at Holy Family, Sewell, 7:30 p.m.
Jesus the Healer, based in Our Lady of Hope Parish, Blackwood
– Feb. 15, Our Lady of Peace, Milmont Park, Pa., 8 p.m.
– Feb. 17, Church of the Holy Family, Sewell, 7 p.m.
– Feb. 22, Infant Jesus Parish (St. Margaret’s), Woodbury Heights, 7:30 p.m.
– Feb. 24, Christ the Redeemer (Assumption), Atco, 6:45 p.m.
– March 1, St. Josephine Bakhita (St. Joan of Arc), Camden, 7:30 p.m.
– March 15, St. Joseph the Worker (St. Vincent Pallotti), Haddonfield, 7:30 p.m.
– March 17, Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Assumption), Galloway, 7:30 p.m.
– March 23, Our Lady of Hope (St. Agnes), Blackwood, 8 p.m.