In anticipation of Blessed John Paul II’s canonization, the Pope John Paul II Retreat Center in Vineland is planning an all-day event on Sunday, Sept. 29.
The next day, Sept. 30, Pope Francis will host a meeting of cardinals to formally approve the canonization of Blessed John Paul II, and the date for the canonization, likely to be in 2014, will be announced at that time.
Pope Francis signed a decree clearing the way for the canonization of Blessed John Paul II July 5. The decree followed a vote two days earlier to recognize as a miracle the healing of Floribeth Mora Diaz, a Costa Rican who was suffering from a brain aneurysm and recovered through Blessed John Paul’s intercession.
In Vineland on Sept. 29, four Masses will be celebrated during the day, one each in English, Italian, Spanish and Polish. In the chapel, there will be time for adoration, from 7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. all-day veneration of the John Paul II relic; and all-day confessions.
In the retreat center’s meeting room, there will be speakers all day, discussing the life, teaching and spirituality of John Paul II.
In the retreat hall, the Knights of Columbus will sponsor breakfast from 8-10:30 a.m., and a multicultural dinner, 12 noon-6 p.m. The retreat bookstore will be open, with books, films, and DVDs available for purchase.
The Mass schedule for the day is:
– 8 a.m., Italian Mass, with celebrant Father Ronald Falotico
– 10:30 a.m., Spanish Mass, with Father Ronald Falotico
– 2:30 p.m., Polish Mass, Father Krzysztof Wtorek and Father Konstanty Pruszkiewicz
– 4 p.m., English Mass, with Father Ariel Hernandez
The speaker schedule for the day is:
– 10:30 a.m., Sister Margaret Kristy, “Totus Tuus Maria: The Dignity of Women”
– 11:30 a.m., Sister Helen Romana Stepinik, LSIC, on St. Faustina, and the history of Divine Mercy (English-language presentation)
– 12 noon, Richard L. Krzyzanowski, on his personal experiences of Pope John Paul II (Polish presentation)
– 1 p.m., Sister Kathleen Brown, “How to live God’s mercy according to Pope John Paul II”
– 1:30 p.m., Sister Helen Romana Stepinik, LSIC (Polish presentation)
– 2 p.m., Father Robert Sinatra, on Pope John Paul II and youth
– 3:30 p.m., Richard L. Krzyzanowski (English presentation)
For more information, visit PopeJohnPaul2rc.catholicweb.com, or call 856-691-2299.