The Office of Child and Youth Protection is announcing CAP (Child Assault Prevention) sessions. CAP is the safe environment training program for adults who have regular contact with minors. Attendance is required in order to comply with the USCCB’s Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. The policy of the Diocese of Camden is that adults will attend CAP once every five years.
CAP 1 teaches attendees to recognize child abuse and neglect and how to report to the proper authorities. Adults are taught that children have the right to be safe, strong and free. CAP 1 is for new volunteers and employees.
CAP 2 is called No More Bullies, No More Victims and is a workshop addressing bullying awareness and bullying prevention. Cyber-bullying is also presented.
CAP 3 is called Cyber-Empowerment and is a workshop which promotes adults understanding of cyber activity of youth while teaching them realistic ways to help children keep their own rights and guard the rights of others in the cyber-sphere.
Each presentation is 90 minutes.
Adults who are new employees or volunteers should attend CAP 1 before attending CAP 2 or CAP 3. After five years, adults have the option of attending CAP 1 or 2 again if they prefer.
The following sessions will be offered in October:
CAP Phase 1
– Tuesday, Oct. 1, 7 p.m., St. Rose of Lima, Haddon Heights, School
– Thursday, Oct. 17, 7 p.m., St. Mary of Mt. Carmel, Hammonton, St. Anthony Hall, Rt. 206
– Wednesday, Oct. 23, 7 p.m., Our Lady of Hope, Blackwood, Parish Center
– Wednesday, Oct. 23, 7 p.m., St. Maximilian Kolbe, Marmora, COTR Extension
– Monday, Oct. 28, 7 p.m., Christ the Good Shepherd, Vineland, Sacred Heart Basement
– Tuesday, Oct. 29, 7 p.m., Holy Family, Sewell, Aquin Building
CAP Phase 2 – Bullying Prevention
– Thursday, Oct. 10, 7 p.m., Our Lady of the Lakes, Collings Lakes
– Wednesday, Oct. 16, 12:30 p.m. Holy Spirit High School, Absecon.
– Wednesday, Oct. 16, 7 p.m., St. Clare of Assisi, Swedesboro Site, Parish Center
– Wednesday, Oct. 30, 7 p.m., Our Lady of Peace, Williamston, Marian Hall
CAP Phase 3 – Cyber Empowerment
– Thursday, Oct. 10, 7 p.m., Saints Peter & Paul, Turnersville, Parish Center
– Friday, Oct. 25, 1 p.m., St. Cecilia School, Pennsauken, Gym
To attend one of these classes, call the CAP registration line, 856-583-6165 or email Diane.Diggons@camdendiocese.org to register. Register at least five days before the session you would like to attend. The CAP schedule, location, phone numbers and directions may be found on the diocesan website: www.camdendiocese.org