Before his death on Jan. 23, 1993, at the age of 64, Msgr. Eugene Pack had spent the last 37 and a half years as a priest in the Diocese of Camden. Whether garnering support for the church as director of the House of Charity; instilling Catholic values to students as high school principal; ministering to the sick as chaplain at Cooper Hospital; or providing guidance as a parish pastor to his flock, Msgr. Pack was a man who understood the importance of his vocation.
Born in Gloucester City on Aug. 9, 1928, Msgr. Pack’s education included St. Charles College in Catonsville, and Mount St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, both in Maryland, before he was ordained a Camden Diocese priest on May 19, 1955, in Camden.
In 1962, he began working in Catholic schools, starting with his position as dean of activities at Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill. He went on to serve as principal of Cathedral Academy in Camden and Principal of Paul VI High School in Haddon Township.
In 1976, he was named Director of the House of Charity Office. Two years later, under his leadership, the campaign raised $1 million for the first time. In 1988, his final year as director, the campaign raised $2.3 million. For his efforts, he was the second recipient of the annual House of Charity Award.
He was named temporary administrator of St. Anthony of Padua Church in Camden in 1973, and a year later became pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes in Glassboro, where he served until 1979. Following pastorships included St. Cecilia, Pennsauken (1979-88) and St. Peter in Merchantville from 1988 until his death.
Researched by Peter G. Sánchez and James A. McBride