Photos by James A. McBride
Nine men were instituted to the ministry of acolyte during a Eucharistic Liturgy Dec. 11 at St. Pius X Spiritual Life Center, Blackwood.
Bishop Joseph A. Galante presided.
Institution to the ministry of acolyte is one of several formal steps taken by men in the pathway toward ordination to the diaconate.
The ministry involves service at the altar amidst the assembly of the faithful. Equally important, it is a ministry to persons who cannot be with the assembly – persons confined to their homes or to an institution.
The nine men in the diaconate formation program who were instituted to the ministry of acolyte were:
– Frank Joseph Campisi of Our Lady of Peace Parish, Williamstown
– Peter Richard Davidson of St. Brendan the Navigator, Avalon
– Frank Dunleavy of Infant Jesus Parish, Woodbury Heights
– Fernando Sumera Encarnado of Our Lady of Hope, Blackwood
– Thomas William Fargnoli of Our Lady of Hope, Blackwood
– Kevin Patrick Hannon of Holy Angels, Woodbury
– Robert Michael Iuliucci of Christ the Redeemer, Atco
– Robert Francis Scarpa of St. Thomas More, Cherry Hill
– Edward Charles Yucis of Christ the Redeemer, Atco
Each of them has examined the needs of their local community and, in consultation with his pastor, developed ministry plans to enhance the community’s understanding of Eucharist and foster devotion to the Eucharist.